lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: PerFieldSimilarity
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 23:40:21 GMT

On May 3, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Robichaud, Jean-Philippe wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been searching the archive without success to answer this one:
> is it
> possible to specify one similarity class per field, just like we
> can do with
> an analyzer ?  I know I can change the similarity of the searcher,
> but that
> restrict me to break some complex queries into different chunk and
> sum the
> score "by hand" rather than having the fast internal implementation
> do the
> job.  What I would really like is to have something like
> PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper but for similarity...  Is this possible ?

I'm interested in what your use case is in desiring this.  What
factors would you vary per field?  The only factor that seems to make
sense is lengthNorm which is computed at indexing time and does allow
per-field tweaking.  A custom Similarity subclass could be used to
affect the lengthNorm based on the field name parameter.

     Erik