lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Govoni, Darren" <DGov...@mcdonaldbradley.com>
Subject RE: indexing relational table(s)
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 16:55:00 GMT
You can also leverage the 'fields' capability in lucene and perhaps match them against columns
to do field-based searching.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrzej Bialecki [mailto:ab@getopt.org]
Sent: Wed 5/11/2005 12:50 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: indexing relational table(s)

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> As sources of indexable text we always see HTML, XML, PDF, etc. but I
> have not seen much mention of relational tables as a source.  Anybody
> know why?

I think no specific reason - Lucene is able to index just pure text,
anything else must go through format converters first. So, the "plain
text from a db" case is relatively simple...

> We have a database with 60,000 records in 6 tables and aproximately 15
> *text* fields per table.  Can we use lucene to index this with JDBC
> being used in an index gathering for loop?

Yes.

> Is there a better way?

This is the simplest way for creating an infrequently-updated index. If
you need to do freqeuent updates, then depending on the size of your
index you may want to play some tricks with RAMDirectory, temporary
indexes or somesuch, but for the scenario that you described so far it
is not needed.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki