lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: alpha numeric searching or highlighting problem.
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 00:15:23 GMT
On May 6, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Yagnesh Shah wrote:
> Hi folks,
>     I am playing with HighlighIt.java of "Luceneinaction" code. I
> have modified the text string so that "45 BC" will now "45BC" and
> another "45 BC" to "Z3950". I have also modified this line and my
> output file do not creates and highlighting.
>
> Works:
>     TermQuery query = new TermQuery(new Term("f", "ipsum"));
>     TermQuery query = new TermQuery(new Term("f", "2000"));
>
> Do not work:
>
>     TermQuery query = new TermQuery(new Term("f", "45BC"));
>     TermQuery query = new TermQuery(new Term("f", "Z3950"));

This is a classic "analysis paralysis" issue.  The HighlightIt code
uses the StandardAnalyzer.  Analyzing 45BC and Z3950 yields the
following (from the Lucene In Action code, run "ant AnalyzerDemo"):

AnalyzerDemo:
      [echo]
      [echo]       Demonstrates analysis of sample text.
      [echo]
      [echo]       Refer to the "Analysis" chapter for much more on this
      [echo]       extremely crucial topic.
      [echo]
     [input] Press return to continue...
     [input] String to analyze: [This string will be analyzed.]
45BC Z3950
      [echo] Running lia.analysis.AnalyzerDemo...
      [java] Analyzing "45BC Z3950"
      [java]   StandardAnalyzer:
      [java]     [45bc] [z3950]

Notice that it has been lowercased.  A TermQuery must match the case
exactly as the tokens returned from the analysis process.

Change to "45bc" in your TermQuery and you'll see highlighting.

     Erik