lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: Top most frequent words
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 08:16:48 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>Somebody asked about this today, and I just found this through Simpy:
>  http://www.unine.ch/info/clef/
>
>Scroll half-way through the page, look on the right side:  1,000 most
>frequent words for several languages.

Hmm.  I'm not sure how valuable that is.   For English "los" and
"angeles" are ranked 99 and 101 respectively and "officials" comes in at
125.   Obviously I'm guessing, but those middle ranking words have come
from a slightly skewed source -- newspapers in a fixed interval
perhaps.  (I don't think "Los Angeles" makes it into every day parlance
in the UK, and "officials" suggests that we're obsessed with beauracracy
:-))

jch