lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Matt Magoffin" <apache....@msqr.us>
Subject Re: "docs out of order exception" in Lucene. Please help.
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 05:35:21 GMT
In Re: to a post from 24-Mar-2005 by Matt Quail, in reference ... I'm
seeing this same exception (Windows, Lucene 1.4.3, Sun JDK 1.5.0_03) that
occurs repeatedly for me, but only during the course of running all my
application's unit tests in Ant. When I run the individual unit test I
can't get the error to occur. For me this is occuring via
IndexWriter.close(), however:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: docs out of order
 at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.appendPostings(SegmentMerger.java:353)
 at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfo(SegmentMerger.java:316)
 at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfos(SegmentMerger.java:290)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTerms(SegmentMerger.java:254)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:93)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:487)
 at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.flushRamSegments(IndexWriter.java:440)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.close(IndexWriter.java:242)

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

-- m@

I have also just seen this exception in a production system (lucene
1.4.3).

Any tips on what might be causing it? I'll be attempting to reproduce
it later, but I'm quite confident that while I'm using that
IndexWriter, no other readers are open, and no other Writers, either.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: docs out of order
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.appendPostings(SegmentMerger.java:
353)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfo(SegmentMerger.java:
316)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfos(SegmentMerger.java:
290)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTerms(SegmentMerger.java:
254)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:93)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:487)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:
458)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(IndexWriter.java:310)
 at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(IndexWriter.java:294)