lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: mutiple index question
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 18:59:57 GMT
On Friday 20 May 2005 16:21, Robert Newson wrote:
> Paul Elschot wrote:
> > On Friday 20 May 2005 13:58, Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>I was wondering if Lucene has any sort of functionality to distribute
> >
> > indices so that different fields are stored in separate indices but they
> > still refer to the same document. This would be great for a situation
where
> > there are many large documents which have frequently changing properties.
> > Content and properties could be indexed separately. Even different sets of
> > properties could be combined in maybe different MultiSearcher instances to
> > speed up querying...
> >
> >>Any ideas on this?
> >

> > Lucene doesn't have this, so you'll have to split your docs over two
different
> > Lucene indexes and adapt the search accordingly. Cached filtering helps a
> > lot, but setting up a filter can still be costly.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paul Elschot
>
> Isn't this achieved by the new ParallelReader in CVS?

Without having had a look at that code: probably not, because
a reader does not know which field is the primary key.

The problem with the two indexes above is that a single document has
different fields in both of them.  Usually a search would start in the
"properties" index, retrieve the found primary keys from there,
then use these primary keys to set up a filter in the "content" index,
and then repeatedly search in the content text limiting to this filter.

Regards,
Paul Elschot