lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on BooleanScorer.score()
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 09:39:03 GMT
Matt,

On Thursday 05 May 2005 21:26, Matt Magoffin wrote:
> Hello, I'm having a tough time trying to get to the root of an exception I
> see sometimes on my Lucene 1.4.3 index. The exception is:

>  at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanScorer.score(BooleanScorer.java:126)
>  at org.apache.lucene.search.Scorer.score(Scorer.java:38)
>  at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:92)
>  at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:64)
>  at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:43)
>  at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:33)
>  at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:27)
>
> and occurs when current.coord is set to 4 but coordFactors is of length 4.
>  The maxCoord is value is 4 at this time, too. I can't get this to happen
> every time I run the unit test that this error occurs in... which is very
> frustrating, sorry.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what might cause this exception
> (I'm assuming something is wrong on my use of Lucene, but I can't find
> what).

It took some sleep to realize this:
This exception can happen when a scorer is add()'ed to the BooleanScorer after
the query search has begun. Given that it is difficult to reproduce, the odds
are that there two threads not properly synchronized: one add()ing
to the BooleanScorer and one searching the query too soon and
producing the above exception.

Regards,
Paul Elschot.