lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From kimchy.comp...@mac.com
Subject Re: Compass 0.4 Released
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 09:34:39 GMT
Hi,

    I have not written anything about it, and it's just ideas that I
have. The main goal of the semantics is that once you created that
"extension points" from your domain model - your metadata, you can
now use semantic modeling (is that the right phrase?) like topic maps
and RDF to define the relationship between them.

     You already have a lot of information, which cost you close to
nothing to create (sell sell ;-) ) by defining the mapping (meta-
data, relationships), and if you went the extra mile and created
"common-metadata", than you have a single source of metadata
definition (that semantics will be able to utilize as well). So now,
if you wish to define semantic relationship on top of all that, thats
where I think that Semantics comes into play.

     Another aspect of semantics can be exporting your index as RDF,
or Topic Map.

     In any case, there is a lot of thinking to be done on the
subject, and I am no "semantic expert", so if you wish to discuss it,
just drop some email to compass mailing lists.

Cheers

    Shay