lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto.de>
Subject Re: NFS
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 11:42:19 GMT
Vince Taluskie writes:
> Richard,
>
> In an earlier note, I mentioned using an Netapp R100 for storage of our
> indexes and content - so I can say that Lucene definitely works accessing
> over NFS. I think this is more for updating/merging the same indexes across
> multiple systems simultaneously and once the indexes are there - I wouldn't
> think you'd have any issues with NFS per se. Just having them open for reads
> doesn't create any lockfiles...

AFAIK opening an index requires a lock.
If the index is modified during the process of accessing all index files,
opening might fail.
I'm not sure if that problem can show up when you're using the compact
index format (the default since 1.4 (or so)), but I had that problem
in earlier version using the noncompact index format.

Morus