lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Luke Shannon" <lshan...@futurebrand.com>
Subject Re: indexing synonyms / reducing the index size
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 13:54:34 GMT
Hi Pablo;

I handle synonyms in the Query rather than the Index. Whenever I build a
query I check to see if there is a synonym for each word, or a replacement
for the entire string the user is searching on. If there is (either or both
cases) I include all the synonyms/replacement strings applicable plus the
original word/string in the Query.

This reduces index size (synonyms not in there), but it did result in some
queries exceeding the default max clause count for the BooleanQuery. I ended
up having to increase this.

Luke

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pablo Gomes Ludermir" <gomesp@gmail.com>
To: "Lucene user list" <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 5:38 PM
Subject: indexing synonyms / reducing the index size

Hello all,

I know that we can expand a word to get its synonyms with Wordnet. I
was wondering if we could reduce the index size by including a synonym
instead of a word on the synonym list.

For instance, if "screen" shows up, I would like to replace it by
"monitor" (it is a stupid example, but it was the first thing that
crossed my mind). Thus, instead of having both entries on the index, I
would have only one.

Thus, I would need to pre-process any queries, replacing the words by
its synonyms as well. I was wondering if someone has done such a thing
in an analyzer already and could give me a little help.

My aim is to reduce the index as much as possible (I already have a
stemmer and a stopword filter on the analyzer). Could anyone point
other ways to reduce the number of terms of an index?

The fact is that I would like to create "extra vectors" with my own
weighting scheme, and it is a quite costly algorithm, so the less
terms I have the better it performs.

Regards,
Pablo

--