lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From iouli.golova...@novartis.com
Subject Re: Sorting date stored in milliseconds time
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:34:29 GMT

well,

1) it would be additional logic overhead to generate the unique id and keep
it global for all data providers
2) I doubt that ordering on 2 fields like "time" up to sec (or even to min)
and "integer" will be quicker when sorting using just one "long"

                      Scott Farquhar

                      <scott@atlassian.        To:       java-user@lucene.apache.org

                      com>                     cc:       Lucene Users List <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>,
(bcc: Iouli
                                                Golovatyi/X/GP/Novartis)

                      06.04.2005 23:51         Subject:  Re: Sorting date stored in milliseconds
time
                      Please respond to

                      java-user                Category:       |-------------------------|

                                                               | ( ) Action needed       |

                                                               | ( ) Decision needed     |

                                                               | ( ) General Information |

                                                               |-------------------------|

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:02:35PM +0200, iouli.golovatyi@novartis.com
wrote:
> I'm  forced to keep date up to milisec. The reason is simple: I get at
> least a couple of new messages per sec, if all of them are stamped with
the
> same time, the retrieval order id undefined, i.e.  once I get it, let's
> say, as the last reference on the first page, other time - as the first
one
> on the second page. In case You do not keep the cache and always performs
> the same query even to get the second page it's getting even worse, i.e.
> displaying the messgaes 41-80, may bring the message 41, which You
already
> displayed on your first page as message 40.

Why can't you have a secondary sort on message id?  Then you sort by time
and message id will always result in consistent ordering.

Cheers,
Scott

--
ATLASSIAN - http://www.atlassian.com
Expert J2EE Software, Services and Support