lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Robichaud, Jean-Philippe" <Jean-Philippe.Robich...@scansoft.com>
Subject Implementation of a ScoreObject ?
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:01:40 GMT
Hi Everyone,

            Lucene is incredible for a lot of reasons.  I've been using it
for the past months and it served me quite well.  I'm using the subversion
snapshots, which I update every now and then.  Almost every functionality I
need is already present and well implemented, but sadly some crucial ones
are missing. I think the most crucial for me is to have something like a
ScoreObject that would contain in a simple (bean?) way all the score
information.  Having to use the reader.explain() function is just impossible
since it basically rerun  the entire search to give a STRING representation
of the scores of ONE document.  Parsing the explanation is pretty slow for
an application that handles 1k-1.5k queries per minutes.  I would really
need that "term level" information to enhance my application.

Probably the simplest/ideal schema of the ScoreObject would be something
like a hashtable with Term being the keys and a TermScoreObject the value.
The TermScoreObject would be filled at search time (if asked) and would
contain all values used in the calculation of the "similarity score".  That
way we could easily know what is the contribution of a specific term to the
overall score.

Is this is something that would be useful to others also?  Is this a feature
that was on the dev whiteboard?

Thanks,

Jp

_________
SpeechWorks solutions from ScanSoft. Inspired Applications, Exceptional
Results

<Jean-Philippe Robichaud >  ::  Solution Speech Scientist

ScanSoft :: Professional Services

5100-75 Queen Street, Montreal, QC

P +1 514 843 4884