lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Bruce Best (CRO)" <be...@lao.on.ca>
Subject Field searching for nothing
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:44:28 GMT
Is there any syntax to find all the documents where a particular
Lucene-indexed field is empty?

For instance, say there is a field called "author". I can do a field search
for
	author:cutting
to find all documents with "cutting" in the author field; I could also
search for
	author:"*"
which would return all documents, whether there was something in the author
field or not.

What if I wanted to find all those documents that had nothing at all in the
"author" field? I tried a few combinations of wildcards and other various
Lucene symbols, but they generally resulted in errors.

Is it possible with Lucene to specify "Return all documents where fieldx: is
empty"?

Thanks,

B.