lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Maik Schreiber <>
Subject Re: Best way to purposely corrupt an index?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:03:44 GMT
> It looks to me that if I do get an IOException, I will then have to perform a
> number of additional checks to eliminate the other possible causes of
> IOExceptions (such as permissions issues), and by a process of elimination,
> determine a corrupt index.

Slightly off-topic:

That's exactly the problem you get when following the practice of using
existing exception types "when your exception does not have something new to
say". The thing is, subclassing an existing exception type actually _does_
make the new type more meaningful and specialized.

Maik Schreiber   *

GPG public key:
Key fingerprint: CF19 AFCE 6E3D 5443 9599 18B5 5640 1F11 D713

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message