lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: Searching an NTFS File Server
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:12:49 GMT
Maher Martin wrote:

>* The user's access rights would be read from Active Directory (i.e
>windows group membership, etc)
>* On the submission of a query to Lucene - the user / group access
>rights would be appended as required search criteria and Lucene would
>filter out all results that the user shouldn't see.

That deals with a user's access rights changing but it doesn't deal with
the access rights if individual files changing, unless you re-index a
file when its access rights change.   I don't know about NT, but
Linux/Unix permissions on files change helluva a lot more often than a
user's access rights change.

Although slower than relying entirely on Lucene, I would be inclined to
filter out results for which the user has no access.   Unless I've
missed  something in recent JDK versions, I don't think that there is
anything in Java to do this and you'd have to wrap a small library using
JNI or similar to do this check.

jch