lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Strategies for updating indexes.
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:35:54 GMT

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>If you take this approach, keep in mind that you will also need to
>handle regular application shutdowns, and also try to catch some
>crashes/errors, in order to flush your in-memory queue of items
>scheduled for indexing, and write them to disk.
>
>Feel free to post the code, if you want and can, so people don't have
>to reinvent this.
>
>Otis

This is where using something like JMS to store persistent messages of
items for indexing in a JMS queue is useful.

We are about to go down this road using ActiveMQ
(http://activemq.codehaus.org, very nice product, Apache licensed), that
way notifications of change are never lost, and you can disconnect the
indexer from the application itself (it could be a seperate process or
in-process, it just needs to be able to read the JMS queue).  With
ActiveMQ you can even embed the JMS server instance inside the VM of
your application too, which is very useful for a single instance, and
can be easily broken out to be used in a clustered environment.

cheers,

Paul Smith