lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@allthingslocal.com>
Subject Re: Normalizing search scores over multiple indices
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 01:50:32 GMT
Bill Janssen writes (4/4/2005 6:38 PM):

>Hi, Otis.
>
>Yes, I looked at Chuck's messages on the mailing list.  But he seems
>to be focussing on MultiSearcher approaches, where I'm looking for a
>way (I think) to adjust each individual index so that it will give
>scores similar to the others.  I don't quite see how to merge the
>results outside of Java without some such calibration.

There is also a long thread on this that pre-dates Wolf's solution for
the MultiSearcher's.  I've never created the more general patch to make
scores across separate indices normalizable.  In conversations with
Doug, I concluded the best approach is to generalize the notion of a
search score into a score object, thereby allowing multiple score facets
(e.g., relevance as defined now, percent of query terms matched, etc.).
The original idea was to use the percent of boost-weighted query terms
matched of the highest result as the top normalized score (which fully
defines the normalization).

Sorry it's not there...

Chuck