lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic index building is expensive
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:24:27 GMT

On Apr 13, 2005, at 6:34 AM, Ranjan K. Baisak wrote:

>  Hello,
> My application used swing and a data base application.
> For searching mechanism, I'm using Lucene. I used to
> build the index during application startup and any
> change to the DB also makes change the index. So I
> have a thread which looks if any change has occurred
> in DB and if so then updates index. This way of search
> is too expensive and also does not have any
> performance benefit compare to DB search compare to
> million of records in DB. Any suggestion to make index
> dynamic with multiuser environment.

So the issue is how to update the Lucene index more rapidly when data
in the DB changes?

If there is a single point of code that DB code goes through and all DB
changes are under your control then hooking that point for updating
Lucene makes sense.  Perhaps aspect-oriented programming could come
into play to separate the Lucene indexing concern from the DB updating
code?

Database triggers would be a good place to hook Lucene indexing if
different processes not under your control are updating data that needs
to be indexed.

	Erik