lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bill Au <bill.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: scalability w/ number of fields
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:17:19 GMT
The compound index structure is meant for indexes with a large number of fields.
I was watching the files in the index directory of my compound index while
it was being optimized.  The IndexWriter that I used was set to use
compound file.
It looks to me that Lucene first combined all existing segments into a new
multifile segment, then it converted this multifile segment into the
compound format.
So I think the data for the entire index is actually being written to
disk twice.
Is there any way to configure Lucene to write the data once only into a compound
segment without first writing a multifile segment first?

Bill