lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: sorting on "dates" a little fuzzy...
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:13:24 GMT

On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:22 PM, James Levine wrote:

> I have an index of around 3 million records, and typical queries
> can result in result sets of between 1 and 400,000 results.
>
> We have indexed "dateTime" fields in the form 20050415142, that is, to
> 10-minute precision.
>
> When I try to sort queries I get something back that is roughly sorted
> on index, but not quite. Stuff is out of order just a bit. The
> size of the result set does not seem to be related occurance of
> this problem.
>
> We've tried lucene 1.4-final and1.4.3.
>
> my code looks like this
>
> s = new Sort( new SortField[] { new SortField( "dateTime",
> SortField.STRING,
> true ), SortField.FIELD_SCORE } );

> hits = searcher.search( qry, s );
>

> Any help is appreciated, I'm so far baffled by this problem.

I don't have a solution, but rather some questions to check.... are all
dateTime's the same width, zero padded on the right?  Does every
document have a dateTime field?

I recommend you sort with type INT instead of STRING if it fits, or
maybe LONG.  STRING will use the most resources for sorting.

	Erik