lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Monsur Hossain" <mon...@monsur.com>
Subject RE: IndexSearcher hanging on to old index files in Windows
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:50:27 GMT

> Just tried this on my linux laptop - with IndexSearcher uncommented, I
> still get a single .cfs file.

Hmmm, rereading this, I'm curious to know how/why this works in Linux.
Consider this scenario:

1) Create a new index

2) Create a new IndexSearcher pointing to that index.

3) Run an incremental index/optimize.  At this point, the new, optimized cfs
file is created, the old cfs file is deleted, and the segments file is
updated to point to the new cfs file.

4) Run a search using the IndexSearcher created in step 2.

At this point, how does the IndexSearcher know that the segments have been
updated and that it should try to read from the new cfs file?

Thanks,
Monsur