lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andy Roberts <m...@andy-roberts.net>
Subject Re: Best way to purposely corrupt an index?
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:44:17 GMT
On Wednesday 20 Apr 2005 12:52, Kevin L. Cobb wrote:
> My policy on this type of exception handling is to only byte off what
> you can chew. If you catch an IOException, then you simply report to the
> user that an unexpected error has occurred and the search engine is
> unobtainable at the moment. Errors should be logged and developers
> should look at the specifics of the error to solve the issue. As you
> implied, either it's a corrupted index, a permission problem, or another
> access problem.

Of course, you are making the assumption that Lucene is only used in the
context of online search engines. This is not the case here. I have developed
a stand alone application for text analysis, and I bundle the Lucene jar with
it to store text in an efficient index. Once the software is on the users'
computer, I don't want to be doing any maintenance of their indexes! (And I'm
sure they'd prefer it that way too)

Andy