lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Gabe <gj...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene for Geo
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:41:21 GMT

I don't think you can do this continuously, but this
might be possible to do by setting up "regions" of how
far away the person is. I'm not using real lats and
longs here, but say you want to search within 5 points
of lat=5; long=6. You could set up your search as:

+((lat:[0 TO 10] and long:[1 TO 11]) (lat:[1 TO 9] and
long:[2 TO 10]) (lat:[2 TO 8] and long:[3 TO 9]) ...
(lat:5 and long:6))

Hairy yes, but I *believe* looking at how scoring
works that (assuming all other terms had boost factors
of 0), that those docs which were closer would match
more terms and thus be scored higher. Not positive but
it's something to play with.

Gabe