lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andy Roberts <m...@andy-roberts.net>
Subject Re: Multi-analyzer ?
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:13:53 GMT
On Monday 11 Apr 2005 14:55, Mike Baranczak wrote:
> Your example with Arabic wouldn't work reliably either - there are
> several other languages that use the Arabic script (Persian for
> example).

Good point. Although you could try a simple approach to test for the
additional characters that exist in Persian but not in Arabic. Although, this
again is not fool-proof. A letter-model approach would be better but is
rather time consuming.

> This is the sort of problem that the end user can solve much better
> than the software can.

I completely agree, which is why I originally suggested prompting the user for
this info. It may be the case that for the majority of queries, English is
the usual language. And it is probably more feasible to do a test to
determine whether the query English or not (still very tricky, mind). If not,
then prompt the user to specify their input language because otherwise,
results will be poor.

Andy Roberts