lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <>
Subject Re: Search performance under high load
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:31:25 GMT
In addition to the comments already made, I recently
recently found these changes to be useful:

1) Swapping out Sun 1.4.2_05 JVM for BEA's JRockit JVM
halved my query times. (In both cases did not tweak
any default JVM settings other than -Xmx to ensure
adequate memory allocation).

2) My app uses long queries, some of which include
very common terms. Using the "MoreLikeThis" query to
drop common terms drastically improved performance. If
your "killer queries" are long ones you could spot
them and service them with a MoreLikeThis or simply
limit the number of allowed terms in the query string.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message