lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin May <m...@foobar.lu>
Subject Lucene for Geo
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:25:23 GMT

Hi everybody,

I have some questions concerning using Lucene for Geo-searching. I have
a bunch of documents (> 100,000) in the index that all have a latitude
and longitude associated with them.

I wanted to be able to search within a certain radius of a point of
origin, which I accomplished by applying some filters on the search that
restrict what values lat/long can take.

So far so good. What I would like to be able to do now is factor in the
distance from the point of origin in the scoring, i.e. give documents
that are closer to the point of origin a boost.

Simply sorting by distance won't cut it, because there are other
relevance factors affecting the ranking. Is there any good (easy &
efficient) way to do this?

Thanks,

Martin