lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>
Subject Re: Lucene on Linux problem...
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:24:50 GMT
On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 10:29 +0200, Kristian Ottosen wrote:
> I wonder if there is general problem running Lucene on top of some of the
> journaling file systems like ReiserFS or Ext3?

I haven't had any problems running Lucene on either of those file
systems. I've done updates to the index while people are still searching
and it all worked fine.

> The problem may not appear immediately - but only after several
> thousand documents have been indexed in a row using a combination of
> IndexSearcher (check for duplicates) and IndexWriter (add document)
> operations.

Are you deleting the duplicates as you find them? i.e. are you closing
and opening reader/writers all the time? If you are, besides
recommending switching to batch updates, I suggest being really thorough
with closing everything, e.g.

IndexReader reader = null;
IndexWriter writer = null;

try {
    reader = IndexReader.open(/* Path to index */);

    ... do the deletes ...

    reader.close();
    reader = null;

    writer = new IndexWriter(index, /* Your analyzer */, false);

    ... do the deletes ....

    writer.optimize();
    writer.close();
    writer = null;
}
catch (IOException e) {
    ... do any error processing ...
}
finally {
    // We can do both these closes in the same finally block because if
    // reader is not null then writer is null, so we don't need to worry
    // about reader.close() throwing another IOException
    if (reader != null) {
        reader.close();
        reader = null;
    }