lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Assorted questions
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:06:07 GMT

: Note the hit in section 6.5.1 - the fact that we used range queries in
: the performance section is an indicator that one can really mess things
: up if using range queries injudiciously. :)  In particular, the typical
: advice is to try to round the time information, to avoid costly range
: queries.  Seconds sound like trouble.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but in my opinion, there is no
reason to ever do a "RangeQuery" on dates.  Using a "DateFilter" (or a
"RangeFilter") on the other hand, might make a lot of sense -- and doesn't
suffer from any of RangeQuery's downsides.

     See "Using a Filter Instead" in...
     http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/DateRangeQueries

: > I needed to return my hits list in date/time order (instead of
: > relevancy).  So, I implemented a class that converted dates to an int
: > and stored the integer as a field in my index.  I passed a Sort
: > object
: > to the IndexSearcher (indicating that the sort field was convertible
: > int) to get things back in date/time order.  It works great.
: >
: >
: >
: > Now I need to do a search within a date/time range (e.g., all the
: > documents between 1/1/2005 00:00:00 to 1/5/2005 23:59:59).  It
: > appears
: > that there is no way to use the integer date to do the range search
: > since Lucene is really looking at the string representation of the
: > int.
: > Even prefixing enough zeros to make all of the integers the same
: > length
: > doesn't help (darn negative numbers).
: >
: >
: >
: > Have I missed something?  Or, will I need to put some kind of
: > date/time
: > string that looks like "20050308172533" (for 3/8/2005 17:25:33) in
: > the
: >
: >
: >
: > My second question is whether range searches are efficient?  I seem
: > recall reading somewhere that range searches get converted to a list
: > of
: > the individual items.  Since a day has 86,400 seconds, a few days
: > worth
: > of searching would require a very large list.  Please tell me that
: > I'm
: > out-in-the-weeds on my recall and that range searches are efficient
: > (i.e., it's effectively just doing a string compare with the start
: > and
: > end terms).
: >
: >