lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: lucene question, examples
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:02:03 GMT

If your goal is to setup a web based search interface that queries a
lucene index containing all of the documents from your intranet
webservers, without writting a lot of code; then perhaps using Lucene 9and
the demo programs it comes with) isn't the best course of action.

"Nutch" is an OpenSource project built on top of Lucene that may better
serve your needs.  It is designed to be a full featured "web search
solution" with a built in crawler, parsers for various document types, and
a web based search interface.

    http://incubator.apache.org/nutch/tutorial.html

I haven't played with it very much myself, but from what i've seen, it's
trivial to get it up and running and indexing an intranet (or a single web
server).

: Yes, the 1.2 example code is exactly what I've been running on the
: internal servers. Have to say, for sample code we got by pretty
: well for a fairly long time.
:
: Will check the newer sources and samples, and the code/site you
: indicated. I'm a generalist, I've written and debugged code in
: languages that I've never learned and unfortunately the life of
: a system admin doesn't allow for much java, at least not at my site.
:
: I'll have a look and let you know, just for the record, how things
: turn out.

-Hoss