lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Smith" <ssm...@mainstreamdata.com>
Subject Assorted questions
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:54:32 GMT
I needed to return my hits list in date/time order (instead of
relevancy).  So, I implemented a class that converted dates to an int
and stored the integer as a field in my index.  I passed a Sort object
to the IndexSearcher (indicating that the sort field was convertible to
int) to get things back in date/time order.  It works great.

Now I need to do a search within a date/time range (e.g., all the
documents between 1/1/2005 00:00:00 to 1/5/2005 23:59:59).  It appears
that there is no way to use the integer date to do the range search
since Lucene is really looking at the string representation of the int.
Even prefixing enough zeros to make all of the integers the same length
doesn't help (darn negative numbers).

Have I missed something?  Or, will I need to put some kind of date/time
string that looks like "20050308172533" (for 3/8/2005 17:25:33) in the

My second question is whether range searches are efficient?  I seem to
recall reading somewhere that range searches get converted to a list of
the individual items.  Since a day has 86,400 seconds, a few days worth
of searching would require a very large list.  Please tell me that I'm
out-in-the-weeds on my recall and that range searches are efficient
(i.e., it's effectively just doing a string compare with the start and
end terms).

Scott