lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: searcher question
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:59:19 GMT
Omar Didi wrote:
> I am having a large index (100GB) and when i run the following code :
>
> String indexLocation = servlet.getServletContext().getInitParameter( "com.lucene.index"
);
> logger.log( Level.INFO, "got the index location from:  " + indexLocation );
> searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexLocation);
> logger.log( Level.INFO, "we created an instance of  SearchIndex" );
>
> I never get to see the last message "we created an instance of  SearchIndex" and I get

> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.

How big is your java heap?  How much RAM do you have on the machine?
How many documents are in the index?  What version of Lucene?

You might try calling IndexWriter.setTermIndexInterval(512) and
re-optimizing your index.  You might need to add and/or delete a
document for this to have an effect if the index is already optimized.
This method is only in the latest sources, available from subversion.
It should dramatically reduce the amount of memory required to open the
index.  There are other changes in the latest sources that will also
reduce memory requirements, so you may not even need to use
IndexWriter.setTermIndexInterval().

Doug