lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with memory utilisation during Lucene search
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:05:33 GMT
Daniel Naber wrote:
> If that doesn't help: are you sure
> you're using Lucene the right way, e.g. having only one
> IndexReader/Searcher and using it for all searches?

That's my first suggestion too.  Memory consumption should not primarily
grow per query, rather per IndexSearcher.  You're seeing 80MB of RAM
consumed per query over an 6M document index.  That sounds plausible if,
e.g., you're using a Sort and not re-using a single IndexSearcher.  Once
you start re-using the IndexSearcher overall consumption should be
around 80MB.

Doug