lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jochen Franke <Jochen.Fra...@jCatalog.com>
Subject Problem with memory utilisation during Lucene search
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:30:28 GMT
Hello all,

our web application is currectly executing queries on a Lucene index
with 6 Mio. records. The memory used by the virtual machine increases up
to 80MB when a search executed. With eight parallel searches we hit the
400MB mark.
Because we had some "out of memory" exceptions in the applications
in the last days with 1200MB memory assigned to the virtual machine
my questions are:

1. Is such an extensive memory utilisation normal which an index of this
size or is it an uncommon behaviour? Has anybody made similar experiences?
2. Are there possibilities to restrict or reduce the memory consumption
of Lucene?
3. Does Lucene provide a mechanism to limit the number of concurrent
searches or must I implement my own wrapper around the search calls
to Lucene?

Thanks
	Jochen