lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: Alert function (aka "profiled alerting")
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:13:28 GMT
Robert Watkins wrote:

> Thank you, David, for your very interesting suggestions.

You're welcome, it's a fun problem.

Unless there's a requirement to the contrary, I would try to only
execute the queries, say, 1x/day, and try to avoid all the cool
optimizations by default - this uses one of those first principles of
optimization, "don't do it".

I'd also suggest you look at how you invoke the (Lucene) JVM - a
combination of the -server flag, a big argument to -Xmx (max memory),
use of a RAMDirectory, and maybe even -XX:CompileThreshold=10 should
give you better-than-default performance. The last secret arg tells the
JVM to compile methods sooner.