lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: Alert function (aka "profiled alerting")
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:20:53 GMT
Robert Watkins wrote:

> The reason your suggestion is not practical is scalability. In a production
> environment you might have, for example, 10,000 stored queries and 10 new
> documents a minute. That's a fair bit of load on the system for only one
> aspect of a much larger search application.

Fun, interesting question - maybe you could elaborate on the
requirements a bit.

I believe the basic kind of use case here is something like "Google
alerts", only more time sensitive - a large number of queries sitting
around waiting to execute against incoming news feeds...

So:

Number of stored queries: could be 10,000 (thus a "large" number)
Incoming docs: 10/min (thus not a huge load)

Questions:

- How complicated are the queries? Are they essentially a list of words
ANDed together, or are they generalized queries against multiple fields
with things like fuzzy term expansion and phrase matches allowed?

- How big are the incoming documents?

=====

I believe the general goal is to avoid looping thru all 10k queries
every time a doc comes in.

These approaches come to mind:

[a] Store queries in memory, and batch incoming documents into a
RAMDirectory, and do the dumb loop thru all 10k queries every minute,
and then destrory the RAMDirectory. Good news pure Lucene and easy to
code, bad news it has the dreaded loop thru all 10k queries.

[b] For each query generate a sparse term boolean array (maybe "bitmask"
is a better term), where any bit in the array that's set means the query
requires that word (er..term).

For every incoming document form a term vector and then you AND the
document term array against each queries. If the AND returns all bits
set that the query needs, then you can execute the query, else,
hopefully, you've avoided an "expensive" query execution by this logic.
Bad news is you still have a loop. If the queries are trivial then you
don't have to separately execute it, as you've already shown that it
will match. If the queries are non-trival, well, then any query that
passes the AND might succeed, whereas any that fails the AND will not
succeed, so this prevents some query executions.

[c]
A variation on [b] is to form some kind of a "parse tree". The source
document terms guide you through the tree, and the nodes in the tree
indicate which queries should be executed based on the matching terms.
Good news is you avoid a loop, bad news is this could be the most memory
intensive and it's a bit trickier to build the data structure.

For both [b] and [c], you can also stem the terms to reduce the number
of different ones, and thus the memory required, at the expense of
having more "false positives".

-- Dave