lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: Removing similar documents from search results
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:48:41 GMT

I think what they do at Google is a fancy heuristic -- as David Spencer
mentioned, suburls of a given page, identical snippets, or titles... My
idea was more towards providing a 'realistic overview' of subjects in
pages. So you could pick, say, the first document from each cluster and
show them like that to the user. Then, in every cluster documents
already have mutual similarity (this could be calculated manually, the
clustering algorithm doesn't do it for all pairs of documents), but some
have more and some have less. You could then hide nearly identical
results from the user.

Anyway, I think the Google method is just a heuristic based on URLs and
nothing as fancy.

D.