lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nader Henein <...@bayt.net>
Subject Re: Alerts for search results
Date Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:35:56 GMT
Well since you're doing it by keyword, it's a little tricky coz if you
want to batch like searches with each other there won't be much
similarity,  especially if you allow the user to select Any Word | All
the Words | Exact phrase, we run 45 000 search agents which dispatch an
email to users daily to inform them of new jobs added to the site, we
tor the date of the run and the Lucene search string and then the
scheduler runs hourly to fetch results/ or result count and send the
mailer to each person who's email is due. Since we allow for 19 separate
search criteria batching has not helped us much because the probability
of enough users having the same search criteria is lower. But you should
try it though, allow your users to start adding alerts, and do your
calculations whether batching would help or not.

That was the pull scenario, there is also the push scenario using a
hashing function, so when a new article is added it's words are compared
to the words that your users have flagged in their alerts and an email
is dispatched to interested users, be aware that this only makes sense
if the total number of distinct words in the document is less than the
number of distinct keywords your users have flagged, which becomes the
case when you accumulate a lot of agents.

Here's a quick and dirty calculation:
Pull Scenario: you will run as many searches as there are distinct alerts
Push scenario :  you will run as many searches as there are distinct
words per document.

Hope this helps.

Nader Henein