lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Use of In-like query and performance implications
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:14:44 GMT
If I had a query of the form (assuming this gets converted to Lucene-speak)

Org=X or Folder In(g,h,i,j,.....) or Public=true

Having a field for Org, and Public is easy, but the Folder field In-like
clause (which would be converted into OR's) could potentially have quite
a few in the clause.

my question is, is there any performance concerns here if
("...In(g,h,i,j,....) ") starts getting longer and longer?  Can Lucene
handle this in an optimal manner, without a serious scalability issue ?
(memory/cpu/io etc).  Or would it be better that a different design is
used gor this?

Paul Smith