lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: warm up lucene, especially sort by cache
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:23:08 GMT
Morus Walter wrote:
> So if you use sort, doing one sort after creating the index might be useful.

Yes, this is a good way to pre-load lots of things.

> For reading relevant parts of the index into OS caches, I'd rather use
> the most commonly searched terms, than the most frequent ones.

If the index was modified on the same machine (with additions and
deletions) but not optimized, then the most of the cache should still be
intact, since most of the files in the index will not have changed.  So
performing more than a single query is probably overkill.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message