lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Purcell" <spurc...@vertisinc.com>
Subject Investingating Lucene For Project
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:47:25 GMT
I am looking for a solution to a problem I am having. We have a web-based asset management
solution where we manage customers assets.

We have had requests from some clients who would like the ability to "index"  PDF files, now
and possibly other text files in the future. The PDF files live on a server and are in a structured
environment. I would like to somehow index the content inside the PDF and be able to run searches
on that information from a web-form. The result MUST BE  a text snippet (that being some text
prior to the searched word and after the searched word).
Does this make sense? And can Lucene do this?

If the product can do this, how is the best way to get rolling on a project of this nature?
Purchase an example book, or are there simple examples one can pick up on? Does Lucene have
a large learning curve? or reasonably quick?

If all the above will work, what kind of license does this require? I have not been able to
find a link to that yet on the jakarta site.

I sincerely appreciate any input into this.

Sincerely
Scott