lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brian Cuttler <br...@wadsworth.org>
Subject lucene question, examples
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:11:46 GMT
I've sorry if this is the wrong forum, I was trying for lucene-user
and been unable to subscribe (but seem to see lucene items here).

We have been runing apache on our internal sites for a while, with
tomcat and lucene. Plugged in the demo index build and search
features... and for a long time life has been good.

Now we are looking to implement apache on our external site with
tomcat and lucene.

System is Solaris 9
Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) ApacheJserv/1.1.2 mod_perl/1.25 configured
Apache, with Tomcat included, from Solaris freeware site.

I didn't see Lucene on the Sun FW site so just replicated the installation
from the internal to the (future) external website.

Lucene is currently v 1.2 (at least that is the version number of the
demo package).

The index we are building (org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML) seems to
capture the tags from the "ALT" text, where really we need it to pick
up not image texts but content and keyword fields, or perhaps even plain
text that is outside of the ALT tags.

We also suspect that we are not picking up all documents, ie, not both
html, htm. We'd like to extend the range of documents we index, soon
to include shtml unless I'm mistaken.

I strongly suspect that newer demos might already do this, or that with
some basic instruction I could modify the document extentions if not the
(I suspect rather complex) target strings.

Unfortunately while the implement demo docs are great, I've so far not
found (or simply not understood) the docs that might give the options
we are hoping to implement.

						Thank you in advance,

						Brian

---