lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto.de>
Subject Re: problem with not operator
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:18:02 GMT
Niraj Alok writes:
> Hi,
>
> When I am putting the query as 'a not b' there are some documents coming up
> which have 'b' as well.
>
> I am searching on 3 fields using a MultiFieldQueryParser and while debugging
> the query is also getting shown as
> (field1:a -field1:b) (field2:a -field2:b) (field3:a -field3:b)
>
> Yet the results have documents which contain 'b' terms as well.

That searches for documents having
a in field1 but not b in field1 OR a in field2 but not b in field2 ...

so a document having one field with a but without b will be found even if
it contains b in some other field.

> Please could you suggest what the problem could be?

You need a query
(field1:a OR field2:b OR field3:c) -(field1:b OR field2:b OR field3:c)

I'm not familliar with MFQP, so I cannot say if it can help you with that.

Morus