lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Luke Shannon" <lshan...@futurebrand.com>
Subject Re: Score Question
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:58:39 GMT
I think I've found my problem. In the example I'm having the problem with I
do a multiple field query.  I think I need to play with my boosting factors.

This is the section of the book that I think will lead to a resolution to my
problem:

In addition to the explicit factors in this equation, other factors can be
computed
on a per-query basis as part of the queryNorm factor. Queries themselves can
have an impact on the document score. Boosting a Query instance is sensible
only
in a multiple-clause query; if only a single term is used for searching,
boosting it
would boost all matched documents equally. In a multiple-clause boolean
query,
some documents may match one clause but not another, enabling the boost
factor
to discriminate between queries. Queries also default to a 1.0 boost factor.

Luke