lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From aurora <auror...@gmail.com>
Subject Hits and HitCollector performance
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:35:24 GMT
I am trying to do some filtering and rearrangement of search result. Two
possiblity come into mind are iterating though the Hits or making custom
HitCollector.

All documentation invaribly warn about the performance impact of using
HitCollector with large result set. The scenario that google return 10s of
millions of documents comes into mind. But I'm thinking, wouldn't Hits
also have to fill up an array with millions of integer id at least? Or
does it only return the correct lenght but build the result array on
demand?

Another idea I have is first gone through the first n hits, let say 1000,
which I filter and rearrange. If user ever need the result pass 1000 the
get the result from Hits.

Is there any recommended way in these situations?