lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Are wildcard searches supposed to work with fields that are saved, indexed and not tokenized?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:53:05 GMT

On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:40 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I was trying to write some documentation on how to use the tool and
> issued a search for:
>
> contact:DENNIS MORROW

Is that literally the QueryParser string you entered?  If so, that
parses to:

	contact:DENNIS OR defaultField:MORROW

most likely.

> And now I get 648 hits, but in some of them the contact doesn't even
> remotely resemble the search pattern.  For instance here are the what
> the contact fields contain for some of these hits:
> Contact: GENERIC CONTACT
> Contact: Andre Gardinalli
> Contact: Brett Morrow  (that's especially interesting)
> Contact: KEN PATTERSON
>
> And of course there are some with Dennis' name too.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?  I'm using the QueryParser.parse
> method.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do this with QueryParser with spaces in
an untokenized field.  First try it with an API created WildcardQuery
to be sure it works the way you expect.

	Erik