lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Fraschetti <frasche...@gmail.com>
Subject lucene docs in bulk read?
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:40:39 GMT
Hey folks.. thanks in advance to any who respond...

I do a good deal of post-search processing and the file io to read the
fields I need becomes horribly costly and is definitely a problem. Is
there any way to either retrieve 1. the entire doc (all fields that
can be retrieved) and/or 2. a group of docs.. specified by say an
array of doc ids?

I've optimized to retrieve the entire list of fields instead of 1 by
1.. and also retrieve only the minimal number of fields that I can..
but still my profilers show me that the lucene io to read the doc
fields is where I spend 95% of my time. Of course this is obvious
given the nature of how it all works.. but can anyone think of a
better way to go about retrieving docs in bulk? Are the different
types of fields quicker/slower than others when retrieving them from
the index?