lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chuck Williams" <>
Subject RE: which HTML parser is better?
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:17:52 GMT
I think that depends on what you want to do.  The Lucene demo parser does simple mapping of
HTML files into Lucene Documents; it does not give you a parse tree for the HTML doc.  CyberNeko
is an extension of Xerces (uses the same API; will likely become part of Xerces), and so maps
an HTML document into a full DOM that you can manipulate easily for a wide range of purposes.
 I haven't used JTidy at an API level and so don't know it as well -- based on its UI, it
appears to be focused primarily on HTML validation and error detection/correction.

I use CyberNeko for a range of operations on HTML documents that go beyond indexing them in
Lucene, and really like it.  It has been robust for me so far.