lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chakra Yadavalli <chakra.yadava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion conversion
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:49:53 GMT
Hello ALL, It might not be the right place for it but as we are talking
about SCM, I have a quick question. First, I haven't used CVS/SVN on any
project. I am a ClearCase/PVCS guy. I just would like to know WHICH
CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT PLAN DO YOU FOLLOW IN LUCENE DEVELOPMENT.

PLAN A: DEVELOP IN TRUNK AND BRANCH OFF ON RELEASE
Recently I had a discussion with a friend about developing in the TRUNK
(which in the /main in ClearCase speak),  which my friend claims that is
done in the APACHE/Open Source projects. The main advantage he pointed
was that Merging could be avoided if you are developing in the TRUNK.
And when there is a release, they create a new Branch (say LUCENE_1.5
branch) and label them. That branch will be used for maintenance and any
code deltas will be merged back to TRUNK as needed.

PLAN B: BRANCH OF BEFORE PLANNED RELEASE AND MERGE BACK TO MAIN/TRUNK
As I am from a "private workspace"/"isolated development" school of
thought promoted by ClearCase, I am used to create a branch at the
project/release initiation and develop in that branch (say /main/dev).
Similarly, we have /main/int for making changes when the project goes to
integration phase, and a /main/acp branch for acceptance. In this
school, the /main will always have fewer versions of files and the
difference between any two consecutive versions is the NET CHANGE of
that SCM element (either file or dir) between two releases (say LUCENE
1.4 and 1.5).

Thanks in advance for your time.
Chakra Yadavalli
http://jroller.com/page/cyblogue