lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Right way to make analyzer
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:48:30 GMT

On Feb 3, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:

> Is this the right way to make a porter analyzer using the standard
> tokenizer?  I'm not sure about the order of the filters.
>
> Owen
>
>     class MyAnalyzer extends Analyzer {
>       public TokenStream tokenStream(String fieldName, Reader reader) {
>         return new PorterStemFilter(
>             new StopFilter(
>                 new LowerCaseFilter(
>                     new StandardFilter(
>                         new StandardTokenizer(reader))),
>                StopAnalyzer.ENGLISH_STOP_WORDS));
>       }
>     }

Yes, that is correct.

Analysis starts with a tokenizer, and chains the output of that to the
next filter and so on.

I strongly recommend, as you start tinkering with custom analysis, to
use a little bit of code to see how your analyzer works on some text.
The Lucene Intro article I wrote for java.net has some code you can
borrow to do this, as does Lucene in Action's source code.  Also, Luke
has this capability - which is a tool I also highly recommend.

	Erik