lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. in-DB-full-text-searching
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:09:42 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>The most obvious answer is that the full-text indexing features of
>RDBMS's are not as good (as fast) as Lucene.  MySQL, PostgreSQL,
>Oracle, MS SQL Server etc. all have full-text indexing/searching
>features, but I always hear people complaining about the speed.  A
>person from a well-known online bookseller told me recently that Lucene
>was about 10x faster that MySQL for full-text searching, and I am
>currently helping someone get away from MySQL and into Lucene for
>performance reasons.

Also... MySQL full text search isn't perfect. If you're not a java
programmer it would be difficult to hack on. Another downside is that FT
in MySQL only works with MyISAM tables which aren't transaction aware
and use global tables locks (not fun).

I'm sure though that MySQL would do a better job at online index
maintenance than Lucene. It falls down a bit in this area...

Kevin

get a free iPod!